‘U.S.’ Tagged Posts

U.S. appeals court sends BlackBerry lawsuit back to lower court

New York (Reuters) - A US appeals court yesterday upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit BlackBerry Ltd. alleges fraud inflating its stock price by pain...

 

U.S. appeals court sends BlackBerry lawsuit back to lower court

New York (Reuters) – A US appeals court yesterday upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit BlackBerry Ltd. alleges fraud inflating its stock price by painting a cheerful picture of the prospects for its Blackberry Z10 smartphone line that was misleading

While the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals in New York did not say the lawsuit to establish a credible claim to reconsider the order of a lower court or to let you edit the plaintiffs their complaint in light of what she has said new evidence.

Neither BlackBerry or an attorney for lead plaintiffs Todd Cox and Maria Dinzik immediately responded to requests for comment.

BlackBerry Z10 has his phone in January 2013 in an attempt to Apple Inc’s iPhone market share loss story, and Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. devices powered by Google Inc.’s Android.

The Blackberry Z10 won positive reviews but low sales led to an expected $ 930 million Skryf down for unsold stock on September 20, 2013. BlackBerry shares lost about a sixth of their value on that day.

The Waterloo, Ontario- based company dethrone its CEO, Thorsten Heins, less than two months later.

The lawsuit alleged that BlackBerry tried the poor performance of the Z10 hides to artificially increase its share.

In the decision Wednesday, the 2nd Circuit upheld US District Judge Thomas Griesa’s March 2015 dismissal of the lawsuit for not claiming that BlackBerry and its directors knowingly deceived investors.

The three-judge appeals panel said amounted claims plaintiffs’ fraud by hindsight “by saying that the suspects had to wipe the device will not be successful.

The court nevertheless said Griesa could try to convince prosecutors to allow you to edit their complaint in the light of new regs development and proof that prosecutors said would support their demands.

the Court of Appeal has said if Griesa refuse to let you edit their complaint to prosecutors, he has his reasons, which he did not explain for.

The case is Cox v. BlackBerry Limited, 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 15-3991.

(Reporting by Nate Raymond in New York, Editing by W Simon and JS Benkoe)

U.S. Democrat Pelosi gets ‘obscene and sick’ calls after hack

 

U.S. Democrat Pelosi gets 'obscene and sick' calls after hack

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The US House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said Saturday his is awash with “obscene and sick” calls and text messages to a hacker linked to Russia posted personal contact information online for her and hundreds of other Democratic lawmakers and followers .

Pelosi a letter to colleagues warning them to take precautions and said that she changed her phone number to a hacker known as “Guccifer 2.0” placed to the personal mobile phone numbers and email addresses on Friday.

posted appeared received information in the electronic breaking the Democratic Congress Campaign Committee, the fundraising and campaign arm of Democrats in the House of Representatives.

Other Democratic campaign groups, including the Democratic National Committee, also targeted by the cyber attack, made public late last month.

“on a personal note, I was in the air flying from Florida to California then broke the news. Upon landing, I have numerous mostly obscene and sick calls, voice mails and receive text messages,” Pelosi has her colleagues, encouraging them to keep their cell phones and incoming SMS-messages away from their family and children.

“It’s a sad state of affairs, not only for us, but more importantly for our country,” said Pelosi, who earlier in the week Russia to blame for the cyber attack and called it ‘a’ electronic Watergate “similar to the 1972 break-in at Democratic Party headquarters, which eventually brought down Republican President Richard Nixon.

John Ramsey House chief information security officer, has a memorandum to lawmakers and followers whom information is publicly encourage their passwords for all changes to their accounts and to consider changing their non-house e-mail addresses.

He said the hacker has a spreadsheet loaded with a mixture of house and personal e-mail addresses and mobile phone numbers for “almost every” House Democrats and “a different number of Republicans,” and similar information for hundreds employees.

“Together with the Excel file,” Guccifer 2.0 ‘pictures documents that took the bill and passwords for a variety of subscription services used by the included DCCC. Initial analysis to identify home addresses some members, together with the name of their spouse, marital status, and religion, “said the note.

US intelligence officials have concluded that Guccifer 2.0 is a working individual or group or for the GRU, Russian military intelligence. Russia has denied involvement in the offense.

The potential Russian involvement in the cyber attack has a fiery campaign debate fired, with Democrats accusing the Russians are trying to help Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

But US officials suspect that the operation and another that focuses on the DNC, Democratic presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton were more likely an attempt to e-mail chains seek to classified networks or seeking national security information than to influence the november 8th US elections.

“Russia’s assumption is probable that it does not matter much who wins the election, because Wall Street and other powerful lobbying really run the country,” said one of the officials Saturday, talk like the other to discuss the condition of anonymity to intelligence assessments.

“The old Soviet faith not quite blurred when it comes to foreign policy,” the official said.

(Additional reporting by John Wolcott; Editing by Paul Simao)

Key player in Silk Road successor site gets eight years in U.S. prison

 

Key player in Silk Road successor site gets eight years in U.S. prison

(Reuters) -. A Washington state man was sentenced Friday to eight years in prison for his role in helping to manage the successor website Silk Road, an online swart mark which sold illegal drugs and other goods

Brian Farrell, who prosecutors say was a staff for Silk Road 2.0, was sentenced by US District Judge Richard Jones in Seattle to plead guilty in March to charges of conspiracy to distributed heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine.

Farrell, 27, was arrested in January 2015 as a pilot under way in the case of Ross Ulbricht, the creator of the original Silk Road, which authorities say Ulbricht has under the alias “Dread Pirate Roberts.”

Ulbricht, 32, was sentenced in May 2015 to life in prison after convicted a federal jury in Manhattan on charges of, inter alia, the distribution of drugs.

Silk Road 2.0 was launched late in 2013, weeks after authorities the original Silk Road website cruel and arrested Ulbricht.

Like the original site, Silk Road 2.0 users are allowed to buy and sell drugs anonymous, computer hacking tools and other illegal items, using the digital currency Bitcoin, the authorities said.

in November 2014 announced the federal authorities in Manhattan that she closed Silk Road 2.0 and arrested his alleged operator Blake Bent Hall, who prosecutors say active website called “Defcon”.

prosecutors said Farrell was a key aide Bent Hall, and was part of a small staff of online administrators and forum moderators, using the nickname “doctorclu.”

In court documents, prosecutors said that during a search of his residence in Bellevue, Washington, in January 2015, Farrell said he worked as Defcon right hand man.

A lawyer for Farrell did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

<. p> The case is US v Farrell, US District Court, Western District of Washington, No. 15-MJ-00016

(Reporting by Nate Raymond in New York. Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Irish privacy watchdog refers Facebook’s U.S. data transfers to EU court

 

Irish privacy watchdog refers Facebook's U.S. data transfers to EU court

Brussels / DUBLIN (Reuters) -. Data transfer to the US by companies such as Facebook and Google to face a renewed legal threat after the Irish privacy watchdog said yesterday that Facebook will pay the data transfer mechanisms to the top EU court

The following step an Irish investigation of Facebook users EU transfer of data to the United States to ensure that properly protect privacy against surveillance US government.

Facebook, like many other technology companies, has its European headquarters in Dublin and is regulated by the Irish Data Protection Commissioner (IDPC).

The IDPC said they will ask the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) to determine the validity of Facebook’s “model contracts”. – General legal regulations that are used by thousands of companies to transfer personal data outside the 28-nation EU

The investigation into the California-based company is provided by the Irish High Court in October to the CJEU affected Safe Harbor , an EU-US agreement that has allowed the free transfer of information between the European Union and the United States. The CJEU decided the agreement does not protect enough information Europeans against US supervision.

The transfer of Europeans to the United States has been a hot topic since 2013 revelations about mass US surveillance programs like PRISM, which US authorities private information directly from a large technology companies like Apple harvest, Facebook and Google .

new agreement

Since the CJEU ruling, companies had to rely on model contracts and other more cumbersome steps to transfer data Europeans to the United States in accordance with strict EU rules data privacy .

“Thousands of companies to transfer data across borders to serve their customers and users,” said a spokesman for Facebook. “Demand Irish DPC plan to gather with the judge in connection with standard contractual clauses will be many companies that are involved in Europe,” she said, adding that Facebook has a number of legal ways of data to the United States.

The CJEU decision in October stemmed from a complaint by Austrian regstudent and privacy activist Max Schrems. He questioned the data of European users to transfer its US servers of Facebook, with regard to the risks of American espionage.

“We have yesterday informed Mr. Schrems and Facebook our intention explanatory relief looking Ina Irish Supreme Court and a reference to the CJEU to determine Thea legala status transfers data under standard contractual clauses,” the IDPC.

One of the reasons why the ECJ struck Safe Haven is because the agreement, EU citizens provides enough channels to complain about American surveillance.

Schrems and other privacy campaign claims that alternative arrangements such model clauses Europeans either do not offer a means of correction.

“There is no way that the CJEU can say that model contracts are valid if they Safe Harbor killed on the basis of the existence of the US surveillance laws,” Schrems said in a statement.

After the CJEU decision in October, the EU Commission and the United States rushed to hash out a new data-sharing agreement, the privacy shield, which they hope as soon as possible by the end-June.

But EU privacy watchdogs have raised some concerns about the course, raises the fear that it can not withstand a court challenge.

“If the court decides that the standard contractual provision can not be trusted and that the transfer of personal information they need to facilitate stopped, the impact on the international business will be catastrophic,” said Oliver Yaros, an attorney Mayer Brown.

(Editing by Susan Fenton and David Clarke)

U.S. meets tech leaders, forms task force to fight online militants

 

U.S. meets tech leaders, forms task force to fight online militants

WASHINGTON / SAN JOSE (Reuters) – The Obama administration sent on Friday to his top national security officials tech meet industry leaders in Silicon Valley and announced a new task force to online propaganda against the United States trying to crack down on the down unprecedented use of the Internet by the jihadiste.

White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough led a high level government delegation which held talks with representatives of some of the nation’s largest technology companies, including Apple CEO Tim Cook.

It is the latest attempt by the Obama administration to technology firms nice talk more cooperative with the intelligence services asked a ravine by the former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden’s revelations, which oversees government set put to be.

The talks, a government complex along San Jose City Hall, described by a senior administration official as â ???? technological brainstorming meetingâ ???? to look at ways to make it more difficult for violent extremists use the internet to recruit support or to plan attacks.

“We explain our policies and how we enforce them – Facebook does not tolerate terrorists or terrorist propaganda and we work aggressively to it as soon as we become aware of to remove it,” has a Facebook spokesman said after The meeting, which lasted two hours and 15 minutes.

Google, Twitter, Microsoft, Yahoo and LinkedIn also plans to send senior managers as President Barack Obama works to the public that his administration battles against Islamic state in the wake of the recent attacks in Paris and reassure San Bernardino, California.

A Brookings Institution report in 2015 noted that Islamic state that large parts of Syria and Iraq control, the industry has at least 46 000 Twitter accounts for a period of three months in 2014.

Security was surprisingly light around the San Jose venue and local media posted photos on Twitter of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson McDonough and walk down the street to get coffee before the meeting.

encrypted COMMUNICATION

Several social media companies have their conditions of service updated within the last 18 months to a stricter attitude to the content that can incite violence, but some are reluctant to appear cooperative with the government due to privacy and commercial interests.

Twitter, long beswadderde less cooperative as other companies such as Facebook, updated its policy last week expressly forbidden â ???? hateful conduct.â ???? battle

Law enforcementâ ???? s encrypted electronic communication used by criminal and terrorist suspects was to crack down on the agenda, but not expected to be a central focus, said sources.

Intelligence officials and some lawmakers have complained that the growing incidence of strong encryption email, phone and messaging platforms, such as iMessage or Whatsapp, hamstring their ability to monitor communications between criminal suspects.

The Obama administration abandoned a push last year for legislation that would force US companies to so-called â ???? build backdoorsâ ???? in getting their products investigators access to encrypted data, calls amid concerns from technologists and privacy. The meeting is not required to make a change in the official position of the White House fast.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch and FBI Director James Comey and other senior officials also have the San Jose talks.

As part of its online efforts against jihadiste, a new group known as the tools of violent extremism Task Force will “integrate and harmonize” government efforts to prevent violent extremism in the United States, White House national security spokesman Ned Price said.

The changes appear largely bureaucratic, however, and reflects the government’s ongoing battle for the presence of the Islamic State necessarily speak online.

The task force will involve the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice and other federal and local agencies.

In addition, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the renovation of how to deliver anti-propaganda on websites like Twitter with the formation of a new global Engagement Center. This will move away from a heavily criticized campaign that included production English counter-propaganda content and direction help allies in creating more targeted anti-militants communication

(Additional reporting by Roberta Rampton and Julia Edwards in Washington ;. Editing by Jonathan Weber and Alistair Bell)